To be honest, I do buy wine online more and more these days. There’s something lovely about sitting on the couch in my pyjamas and glass of red wine in hand browsing through the online wine shops and then having someone else carry the wine to me!
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love going to cellar doors but sometimes doing that at 10pm in my pyjamas is just a tad weird. Plus with the pandemic, well online ordering is sometimes the best way to do it.
So I have put a list together places you can buy wine online below and compared them based on their selection, pricing, features and my experiences on the sites.
Online wine shops to check out:
- Dan Murphy’s
- Good Pair Days (previously The Wine Gallery)
- Just Wines
- Naked Wines
- Popsy & JJ – European Wines
- Secret Bottle
- Waters Wine Co
- Wine Cloud
- Wine Selectors
Selection: 600 individual wines, over 200 mixed cases, and over 60 different wine reservations (i.e. subscriptions), including an organic wine subscription available.
Focus: A wide range of wines from all over Australia and all over the world. Buy single bottles, straight and mixed cases or sign up to one of our wine reservations for ultimate convenience.
- Cellarmasters was founded in 1982, and the business founders had an idea to make the experience of buying wine more authentic and help customers discover the stories behind every wine.
- The goal was then and has since been to connect wine lovers directly with wine makers and grape growers. We are very proud of this ‘grape to glass’ concept and the relationships we’ve built with our growers and winemakers. You’ll find big-name brands like Penfolds, Grant Burge and Neil McGuigan alongside small brand names like Stefano de Pieri wines, Riversdale Estate, Mockingbird Hill and more!
- Our team is among Australia’s best educated in wine, and Cellarmasters’ Wine Advisors are there to answer any questions. Which wine goes best with your favourite dishes? Which region makes stunning Pinot Noir? When should you open that Barossa Shiraz? They also love to share a recommendation or two.
- You can shop with Cellarmasters online, or call 1800 500 260 and talk to one of our Wine Advisors who can help with all your wine shopping needs.
- Online customer reviews
- Exclusive discounts and offers
- Tips and recommendations from our tasting panel
- Cellarmasters 100% Money Back Guarantee. Every wine we sell is covered by our 100% Money Back Guarantee. We want you to feel confident enjoying wines from us, and this makes it easy.
Summary: I have collaborated with Cellarmasters on numerous projects. The latest project being trialing out their organic wine subscription which I think is going to be very popular! The team are always very friendly at Cellarmasters and I like how their website is easy to navigate. They also have many wines which they exclusively carry, so if you’re looking for some of those hidden gems in the wine world, check these guys out! Check out all the Cellarmasters wine tasting notes here.
Selection: Over 7,500 products (this includes wines, spirits and beers)
Pricing: Anywhere between $3 for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to a $45,000 bottle of Scotch Whisky
- Competitive prices
- Stock availability is shown online
- A range of delivery options from same day to picking a specific day
- Order online and collect in store option
- Online tasting notes
- Search by wine type, vintage, region, price point, ratings, promotions, brands and more
- Case deals
- Expert & customer reviews
Shipping: Various options ranging from $7 upwards. Free delivery on orders over $300
Summary: Obviously we all know Dan’s and the massive selection they have. If you’re looking to stock up for a party, particularly if you want a range of wines, beers, etc then this is your one-stop-shop!
Selection: 50+ curated bottles
Focus: Curation! They like to think of their service as monthly tailored wine adventures. Each month Banjo Harris Plane, the three-time Australian Sommelier of the Year, selects a dozen small-batch bottles from around Australia and the globe. And based on your taste profile, they send you the three they think you will like the most.
Pricing: Monthly subscriptions start at $69. All bottles are $23.
- Your wine subscription is entirely personalised.
- They start by getting you to take an online palate profile quiz to match you to a selection they think you will find delicious.
- After each month’s box, they ask for your feedback on each bottle; and that way they keep learning more about your tastes.
- Before your next box arrives they give you a heads up on your selection and you get the chance to make changes if you like.
- Each wine is accompanied by tasting notes, the winemaker’s story, food matches and a link to a recipe that’s perfect for the bottle.
- One-off wine purchases can browse through their curated selection by their selecting foods, moods, seasons or tastes.
- They guarantee you’ll love every bottle or they will send a replacement in your next box.
Shipping: $9 Australia wide. Normally 1-5 business days.
Location: Sydney & Melbourne
Summary: I love these guys! The wine selection is always interesting and not stagnant which keeps me interested and trying new things. I also love the little touches. From the wonderful eco-friendly packaging to the tasting notes and a matching recipe. Not to mention the extra surprise in the box each month! I have made many of the suggested recipes and even for a novice in the kitchen like me, they are simple yet super tasty. I cannot recommend Tom, Banjo and the team at Good Pair Days highly enough!
TC Reader Deal: Use code ‘travellingcorkscrew’ to get $23 off your first order!
Selection: 4000+ Wines from 500+ Wineries
Focus: To have the largest selection of wines from wineries across Australia and provide customers a common platform to find all Australian wines at one place.
Pricing: From under $10 bottles up to over $50 bottles
- Currently selling more than 4000 wines, have plans to increase this to 10000+ by next year
- Wines at all price ranges
- Daily wine deal
- A Wine Club which comes with many exclusive benefits
- Prompt, safe & assured delivery
- 100% Money Back Guarantee if not happy with wine received. Options of refunds, credit or replacement of wine
Shipping: Flat $9 Australia-wide (Free shipping on selective deals and offers)
Location: Wetherill Park NSW
Summary: I haven’t personally bought from Just Wines. From what I can see you need to buy by the case however it looks like you can snap up some bargains. You can even buy Sauv Blanc already in a glass! The site seems easy to navigate and you can search my wine style, winery, price bracket or region which is handy.
Selection: At any one time there are around 90-135 wines available online
Focus: Exclusive wines from boutique Aussie and Kiwi winemakers
Pricing: $8.99-$25 (with a few Vintage Champagnes at $50)
- Crowd-funded project to give us access to top quality wines from boutique winemakers who are not spending all their cash on sales & marketing but instead on the wine they produce
- Angel club for access to cheaper wines and postage
- The average price point is $12 a bottle
- Mixed cases alongside a special ‘tasting game’ box so you can do your own tasting at home with friends
- Online tasting notes
- Online customer reviews
- The Naked Wine app for ordering and browsing
- Your account & the app keeps track of everything you bought and your ratings if you decide to rate them
- Communication direct with the winemakers through the app and online
- Super quick delivery
Shipping: Angels get discounts on delivery in all areas. Metro areas are almost always free next day delivery. Rural area delivery costs vary but generally come in under $10. Metro Perth is $4.99 next day delivery for Angels, $9.99 next day for non-Angels.
Location: New South Wales, however, they also have a warehouse in Perth
Summary: I have only recently tried out Naked Wines, and I do like the idea of having access to wines which you can’t find on the shelves at your bottle-o. The whole crowd-funded idea is great and I’m looking forward to becoming part of the club (I’m currently on the waiting list, due to supply and demand they can only have a certain amount of people in the club, read more here). I also like having the app at my fingertips so I can see what people are saying about the wines, give my two cents and I’ve also had winemakers respond to my comments which is pretty cool.
Popsy & JJ – European Wines
Selection: Currently French and Italian reds, whites, sparkling, rose and dessert wine that cover historic and world renowned wine making regions of the globe.
Focus: Popsy & JJ focus on artisan family producers who have been making wine for generations and that you will not find anywhere else in Australia! They only offer wines to Aussie wine lovers that they both love from over 2000 wines tasted!
Pricing: They have the best prices on their wines in Australia! Prices start at $22.99 for a Soave and go up to $111.99 for a Barbaresco. They have specials so make sure you are signed up to their newsletter for wines of the week deals!
- Competitive pricing
- Video reviews and written reviews for every wine
- QR codes on every bottle so you can check out their reviews easily
- The ability for you to mix and match any of wines and in any quantity you wish
Shipping: They ship to every state for $10 per dozen. Order 3 dozen and shipping is free! Shipping times between 2-5 days.
Selection: 6 curated wines every month chosen one of the many Australian wine regions
Focus: 3 bottle monthly subscriptions or 3 x 60ml tasting tube monthly subscriptions
Pricing: Monthly Subscriptions Starting at $25 including delivery
- Discover boutique Australian wines from over 75 Australian wine regions
- Choose monthly deliveries of 3 red wines, 3 white wines or indulge in both
- Taste your wines first with the Tasting Club (60ml tasting tubes which are bottled using a patented machine from France that uses nitrogen to ensure the wine is kept at the best possible condition for 5-6months) and only buy what you love
- Matching tasting notes with each wine
- Exclusive offers and discounts at the members-only Secret Bottle Shop
- Expand your wine knowledge with tips and wine education
- No lock-in contracts
Shipping: Included in subscription prices for delivery Australia-wide
Location: Secret Bottle are based in NSW
Summary: I was lucky enough to receive a tasting club pack a few months ago and I have to admit I thought the little tasting tubes were a great way to try a few different wines without having to spend the cash on full bottles! It’s a new, out-of-the-box concept for the Australian market and who doesn’t love a little secret!
Selection: Approximately 200 different wines
Focus: A wide range of varieties from all over Australia and the globe
Pricing: Anywhere from $8.25 up to $500 per bottle
- Deals as high as 70% off RRP
- 100% Mofo happiness guarantee, meaning If you’re not 100% happy, you can return your order at any time for a replacement, credit or refund. They’ll even pick it up and cover the return shipping cost.
- Less than 2% of the wines submitted pass their tasting panel and make it to the site
- Online tasting notes
- Wine club (a case sent to you every 3 months)
- Online videos to help improve your wine knowledge
- Mixed cases
Shipping: $9 shipping cap Australia-wide
Summary: To be honest I have only ordered from Vinomofo once and I got a ripper of a deal alongside trying out some Vinomofo wines as a blogger collaboration a little while ago. I always check out their site when new deals come out as you can pick up some bargains. The personality of the company that comes through in all their online content and on their social media channels is very approachable and really does make wine drinking fun, not snobby.
Selection: 500 + wines and growing, from artisan, iconic and (mostly) family-owned producers.
Focus: A great selection of quality wines from around the world, with a particular focus on smaller producers making wines to excite and entice wine drinkers. We source wines of fantastic quality and value – no compromise.
Pricing: Anywhere from $15 for everyday drinkers to $300+ for top quality German Riesling or Grand Cru Burgundy. And a lot in between!
- Organic and biodynamic producers.
- We’re a small, family business and like to support small, family producers.
- Personalised service – tell us what you like and we’ll put together a selection to suit your palate and budget.
- We make a point of stocking wines you most likely won’t find browsing the shelves of your local bottleshop.
- Our ‘Curious Wines’ range of unusual grape varieties and wine styles from around the world. Try something different!
- Competitive prices.
- Online tasting notes and producer profiles.
- Mixed cases.
Shipping: Free local delivery on orders over $150. Free National delivery on orders over $300. Otherwise $15 per case of 12 bottles or less.
Location: Sydney’s Northern Beaches
Summary: Even though I haven’t bought wine online from Waters Wine Co before, I am intrigued! They definitely have a bit of everything from Tyrrells to lesser known producers. The website functions well and is easy to use from what I have seen so far.
Selection: 500+ wines
Focus: Winemakers sign up to the site and sell directly to you, Wine Cloud is a vineyard & wine marketplace more so than an online wine shop
- You’re literally buying wine directly from the winemaker (wines are shipped directly from the cellar door)
- Cellar door only wines for purchase
- Speciality wines such as museum releases, pre-release wines, organic & vegan wines as well as ciders and fortified wines
- Free delivery on all wines over a certain price point
- Tasting notes online
- Mixed cases
Shipping: All winemakers offer FREE delivery, they just offer it at different order value levels
Location: New South Wales, however, your wine is shipped straight from the vineyard
Summary: To be honest Wine Cloud is a rather new online wine shopping experience for me. I love the concept of buying directly from the cellar door. And the ‘speciality’ and ‘cellar door only’ sections really grabbed my attention. I love hunting out something new and unique. There is definitely some interesting wines onboard Wine Cloud!
Selection: Over 600+ Australian wines, all of which have been judged by the Wine Selectors Tasting Panel and have received a bronze medal score or higher. (All wines are blind tasted to ensure impartiality.)
Focus: An extensive range of high-quality Australian wine, sourced from both iconic and boutique wineries from around the country. Option to purchase single bottles, 2 pack, 3 pack, 6 pack or 12 packs. Select from eight preselected wine plans – including those with a focus on regional discoveries, celebratory selections or connoisseur collections – or choose your own varieties and quantities via their customised wine plan option.
Pricing: Whilst there are a few bottles that can be found between the $13-$17 mark, most of the Wine Selectors range generally falls somewhere between $17-$70 – a price point that can be attributed to their high-quality product offering. They also have a great range of top-shelf wines as well.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee – love every wine or Wine Selectors will give you your money back.
- Complete flexibility with wine plans, there are no contracts or commitments. If you are unable to take a delivery, let Wine Selectors know at your earliest convenience. There is no financial catch if you decide to skip or stop your deliveries.
- Australian wines only
- Highest standard of wine selection and curation is undertaken by the Wine Selectors Tasting Panel who has over 140 years of collective experience
- Knowledgeable customer service team, always available for enquiries
- Exclusive member benefits such as:
- 20% discount on the RRP of wine at a range of Australian cellar doors
- Complimentary copies of Selector, Australia’s highest circulating wine and food magazine, plus an annual, highly-sought-after food and wine calendar
- $30 Wine Selectors e-voucher each year to spend during your birthday month
- Educational tasting notes, included in every Cellar Door Release selection
- Exclusive invitations to various food and wine events held throughout the country
- The latest in Australian wine and food news delivered directly to your inbox
Shipping: If you spend $299 or more in one transaction, delivery is FREE*(*excludes Cellar Door Releases). For more shipping details click here.
Location: Newcastle, New South Wales
Summary: I have collaborated with Wine Selectors on a number of projects and have had a great experience. I really enjoyed their Australian First Families of Wine case and the 2019 Calendar Collection! You can read my Wine Selectors tasting notes here.
What is your favourite place to buy wine online? Let us know below!