My tipsy turvy story of how I came to be the Travelling Corkscrew…
I’m Casey and I LOVE wine, love to blog and love to share my experiences with whoever is keen to listen. I am also a bit of a social media addict with a slight case of itchy feet and suffer from a serious case of food envy.
I ended up on the shores of Western Australia, Perth to be exact, in 2012 and I have fallen corkscrew over bottle with it. There is literally so much wine within a fingertip’s reach. I actually think I might stick around here for a while!
If you have read my blog or seen me pop up on social media then you will know that I am based in the Swan Valley and quite frankly, I can’t get enough of it. However, I am also trying to explore further afield to the numerous tasty regions in this fine state – the Perth Hills, Geographe, Margaret River, Pemberton and Great Southern to name just a few.
So what’s my story? Why wine? Here is a quick taste of me:
- When I was 15 years old I became an after school cellar hand at Cottle Hill Winery in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
- While studying my Bachelor of Communication Studies/Public Relations degree in Auckland I worked for the New Zealand wine retailer Glengarry.
- I spent 4 years living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates where I worked for the illustrious duty-free fine wine and luxury spirit store – Le Clos.
- While in Dubai I completed my Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) levels 2 & 3 Certificate qualifications.
- 2010 the Travelling Corkscrew was born out of my love for writing, wine and communicating.
- In 2011, Mr. Spittoon (the now husband) and I spent the year backpacking around Europe with a particular emphasis on visiting wine regions (ahhh the memories!).
- 2012 I arrived in Perth with an empty wine glass and my taste buds at the ready.
- In 2013 I challenged myself to taste 365 different wines in 2013.
- I love writing about wine, so over the past couple of years I have written for a lot of fab wine and travel publications as well as doing a radio interview here in Perth. Read all about my guest appearances here.
- Completed the Wine101x, World of Wine: From Grape to Glass online course with a final grade of 96% – see my edX certificate here
So that is me in a wine glass. Like everyone I am still learning all about the mysteries of the wine world, however I am studying extremely hard, after all – a girls got to do her research.
My main philosophy and advice for everyone is:
If you like it, drink it & enjoy every last drop!