My tipsy turvy story of how I came to be the wine blogger known as the Travelling Corkscrew…
I’m Casey and I LOVE wine, love to blog and love to share my experiences with whoever is keen to listen. I am also a bit of a social media addict with a slight case of itchy feet and suffer from a serious case of food envy.
I ended up on the shores of Australia, Perth to be exact, in 2012 and I fell corkscrew over bottle with it. There is literally so much wine within a fingertip’s reach in WA.
In 2018 I sadly said goodbye to Perth when my beloved husband got a job in Gippsland, Victoria. We decided to hop on over to the east coast for a bit of a look around whilst I start up my small business, Grand Cru Digital, specialising in Search Marketing and more specifically SEO.
So what’s my story? Why wine? Here is a quick taste:
- When I was 15 years old I became an after-school cellar hand at Cottle Hill Winery in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
- While studying my Bachelor of Communication Studies/Public Relations degree in Auckland I worked for the New Zealand wine retailer Glengarry.
- I spent 4 years living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates where I worked for the illustrious duty-free fine wine and luxury spirit store – Le Clos.
- While in Dubai I completed my Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) levels 2 & 3 Certificate qualifications.
- 2010 the Travelling Corkscrew was born out of my love for writing, wine and communicating.
- In 2011, Mr. Spittoon (now husband) and I spent the year backpacking around Europe with a particular emphasis on visiting wine regions (ahhh the memories!).
- 2012 I arrived in Perth, Western Australia with an empty wine glass and my taste buds at the ready.
- In 2013 I challenged myself to taste 365 different wines.
- I love writing about wine, which is why during my time in Perth, I wrote for a lot of fab wine and travel publications as well as doing a radio interview – read all about my guest appearances here.
- Completed the Wine101x, World of Wine: From Grape to Glass online course with a final grade of 96% – see my edX certificate here.
- 2018 I moved to Victoria, Australia and started up Grand Cru Digital.
So that is me in a wine glass.
Like, everyone, I am still learning all about the mysteries of the wine world, however, I am studying extremely hard, after all – a girl has got to do her research.
My main philosophy and advice for everyone is:
If you like it, drink it & enjoy every last drop!