For some wine drinkers, you get to a point where you want to know more about what’s in your glass. You seek out special bottles, you spend more money than you probably should on wine and there’s no such thing as too many wine memes. You’ve been bitten by the wine bug. You’ve officially shifted from just being just a boozy drinker to a wine appreciator. I say a big congratulations too you if you’ve transcended to this level. When you think about the time and passion that is put into each and every bottle of wine, then it’s only right to appreciate it with gusto.
Here are 20 notable signs you’re no longer just a booze hag anymore..
- You have only $30 to spend on wine before payday next week so you opt for 1 or 2 decent bottles over half a dozen cleanskins or goon. Quality over quantity
- You correct people when they call Passion Pop ‘champagne’
- What wine you’ll be drinking is decided first followed by what meal/food will compliment your vino choice
- You always have at least 1 bottle of wine in the fridge, if not 6
- There’s a ‘do not touch’ section on your wine rack when friends come over
- The thought of opening a bottle you’ve held onto at least for a few months fills you with excitement
- You never get sick of wine memes
- You’ll buy or order a wine just because you’ve never heard of it before
- You class wine as a hobby as you seriously want to learn more about what makes that delectable nectar in your glass. *Cough cough* – it’s all about education 😉
- You taste more than just ‘grape flavour’ in your wine
- You can no longer order just the red or white at the pub, you need at least a hint as to what it is
- There’s no such thing as Wednesday, hump day must always be referred to as ‘Wine Wednesday’ full stop
- You never invite friends out for coffee anymore, ‘let’s grab a wine’ is more your thing
- Dining out means choosing the place with the best wine list. No wine list? Then you’ll probably never be seen there
- You spend as long in your local wine shop as a bookworm spends in the library and if they’re giving out tastings, watch out
- It seems smarter to order wine online, how the heck else are you going to be able to carry your monthly wine purchases otherwise?
- You tell people facts about the wine they’re drinking even if you know they don’t give two toots – you just can’t help but share your passion
- You’d much rather pour yourself a glass of red, run a bath and dig into a good book on a Saturday night than go out for $5 happy hour glasses of wine
- There’s no way you’d rather start a day than with a Champagne Breakfast
- Your phone is full of photos of wine bottles, wine lists and anything and everything to do with wine so you can never forget those wonderful wine memories
Whether you class yourself as a wine appreciator, wine lover, wine snob or wine wanker – at the end of the day you’re just excited about what wine will be in your glass next and I don’t blame you!