Winter is coming… It’s too hard not to quote those famous words from Game of Thrones when mentioning winter right? Well Recently on my Facebook page I asked what you all wanted to read about over the coming weeks and one lovely wino piped up saying she wanted something on ‘winter warmers’. So I thought I’d take that one step further and list 18 ways wine can help you get through winter in 2016.
1. Mulled wine (I recently made my first batch which was the crockpot/slow cooker mulled wine recipe here – so delicious!).
2. Follow @menandwine on Instagram – this ones for the ladies!
3. Port and fortified wine. High abv = cheap alternative to putting the heater on.
4. Slow cooked meats with wine in the recipe and mandatory glass/bottle for the chef – I’m loving my slow-cooked lamb shanks and beef ragu at the moment, there’s some great recipes out there that have the addition of wine in.
5. Traditional Chianti – decant a bottle and then plug a candle in Italian style, and why not make some pizza dough with wine in too!
6. Online wine shopping – you don’t even have to get out of your pjs and leave your cosy warm house.
8. At home wine tasting party – why not hold your own wine event.
9. Game of Thrones marathon matched with wines naturally.
10. Stemless wine glasses full of red wine. My Riedel stemless wine glasses always get a thrashing in winter.
11. Pledge an oath to celebrate all the international wine days throughout winter.
12. Grab some supplies and add to your wine knowledge by doing a free online wine course (it’s safe to say you can drink while studying and doing the assessments). This edX wine course is actually due to be relaunched soon with a ton of awesome new additions.
13. Snuggle up with a good wine book and bottle of vino to improve your wine knowledge.
14. Write a guest post for your favourite wine blog – Travelling Corkscrew! If you’re passionate about wine and have something interesting to offer, drop me a line.
15. Improve your wine knowledge by drinking something new every day/week/more and stay healthy at the same time.
16. Eat bacon and drink wine. Enough said.
17. Enjoy a wine in the bath with your sipcaddy.
18. Wine and getting it on Fifty Shades of Grey style.
What are your top tips for getting through winter with a little help from our friend ‘wine’? Leave a comment below!