For me, collecting corks is like my own photo album of the wines I have drunk throughout my life.
I come across a Dom Perignon cork and I remember back to a celebratory dinner I had in Dubai when I got a new job, I come across a Montefioralle cork and I remember back to the day my gorgeous man and I were sipping Chianti in the rolling hills of Tuscany.
Yes I know I am wine obsessed! Before I decide to go down the dramatic route of clearing out my closest to fit in another bucket load of corks I thought I should consider some other useful ideas. Perhaps I can actually use my ‘cork memories’ for practical use. Here are 20 ways to use those leftover wine corks you have lying around:
1. I have to state the obvious – a corkboard! Not only will it look funky but also it is 100% practical.
2. Placeholders at a wedding or formal do.
3. This one is for the men; fishing floats, or floats/key rings for your car/boat key.
4. A mobile for babies (I know my babies will be getting one of these!).
5. Toothpick/needle/pin holders.
6. Carve stars/letters out of the end of the corks and turn them into stamps for the kids.
8. Beanbag filler.
9. A bath mat or welcome mat – apparently 175 corks, some shelf liner (18.5 x 30 inches) and a hot glue gun is all you need.
10. On a smaller scale to the above you could make table mats/pot holders or coasters.
11. Wine glass charms.
12. Herb garden markers so you never get confused between where you planted the basil and the dill. Simply attach the cork to a skewer stick.
13. Necklace or earrings.
14. A cap for a pen if you lose the end.
15. A light shade.
16. Fridge magnets.
17. Cut corks in half lengthways and glue to a tissue box, a great way to funk up an everyday item.
18. Picture frame.
19. Be an Aussie for a day and hang corks from your hat. Back in the day swagmen use to wear these to ward of insects – today the hats are an icon of Australia. Perhaps it could be good for a fancy dress party?
20. Fill a vase and use as a table centerpiece with a candle in.
The list is endless; please leave a comment if you have a good one to share.