I have exciting news for wine lovers living in or around the Swan Valley! Full Bottle Wine Education & Events will be running a level 2 WSET wine course in the Swan Valley at Mandoon Estate, starting on the 10th of March.
I couldn’t think of a better spot to complete the course than smack bam in the middle of one of Perth’s stunning wine regions. It definitely beats doing it smack bam in the middle of the desert like I did in Dubai about 5 or so years ago!
What is the WSET Level 2 Course?
The Wine & Spirits Education Trust is a globally recognised range of courses for those who work in the wine industry alongside avid wine lovers. The Level 2 (Intermediate) course will cover;
- The WSET Systematic approach to Tasting (a skill I use to this very day)
- Food and wine matching
- Grape growing and wine making
- Key wine and spirit producing regions
- Key grape varieties (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Syrah and Grenache and more Sparkling and sweet wines)
- And an introduction to fortified wines, spirits and liqueurs.
The course includes:
- 19 hours of instruction, typically completed over nine 2-hour sessions with 2 extended sessions
- Tasting of an extensive selection of quality wines, a broad variety of types and regions
- An official WSET study guide and manual
- With Full Bottle you’ll do a special new unit to cover The Wines of Western Australia (#jealous!!)
- A one-hour multiple choice examination
Each session will begin at 6pm and run through to 8:30pm and there will be a tasting at each class (don’t you love this type of learning!).
- Monday 10/03 Session 1: Tasting and Evaluation Wine, Wine and Food, Social Responsibility, Storage and Service
- Monday 17/03 Session 2: Factors affecting Wine Style, Quality and Price, Understanding the Label
- Monday 24/03 Session 3: Chardonnay & Pinot Noir
- Monday 31/03 Session 4: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc
- Monday 07/04 Session 5: Syrah, Grenache and Riesling
- Monday 14/04 Session 6: Other White Grape Varieties, White Wines and Sweet Wines
- Monday 21/04 Session 7: Other Black Grape Varieties, Red Wines and Fortified wines
- Monday 28/04 Session 8: Western Australia
- Monday 05/05 Session 9: Sparkling wines and Spirits
- Monday 12/05 Exam