In celebration of the leap year, here are 29 things you should do today (well maybe try at least one, some are a touch outrageous!). It only comes around every 4 years after all.
1. Goon Bag of Fortune. Attach two wine bladders (from the wine-in-a-box) to the clothesline at opposite sides. Everyone stands in a circle around the line and then the line is spun and whomever the bladders land on have to drink. It’s how to socialize and get a tan thanks to Kiwis and Aussies.
2. Enjoy a splash of Motörhead wine whilst rocking out on Guitar Hero.
3. Grab a bottle of sparkling wine and as many flavours of school lunch-box size bags of chip as you can find and work out what tastes best! Cheap, easy and cheerful with a slight sophistication.
4. Troll through the MythBusters videos on YouTube; can a human voice break a wine glass or could a wine truck on fire start shooting out corks? Intriguing… and of course very useful to know
5. Champagne cocktail; Pop a sugar cube in a flute, add a dash of angostura bitters and top with a cheap pour of sparkling wine and garnish with a strawberry – YUM!
6. Want to take care of your skin? Try the WineSpa products from The Lake House in Denmark. Soaps and spa/bath items at your service… What more can a girl ask for?
7. Grab an eye-popping pink can of ‘Sparkly’ if you’re in Scandinavia and jump in the sauna. Sparkly is a delicious strawberry, demi-sec blend. A rather steamy yet intoxicatingly and addictive mélange.
8. Slurp down a bottle of the voluptuous Sogno Uno – or Dream One wine launched by American porn actress Savanna Samson, which by the way was given 91 points by Robert Parker… cough …cough, I wonder how it got such a good score..?
9. If you’re in Norway, head on down to the most northern vineyard in the word, the ‘Wine of Fairytales’ vineyard.
10. If you’re in London, check out Borough Markets to fill up your own flask of wine to help the environment.
11. Hire an American muscle car (Mustang all the way for me baby!)and enjoy a hefty Cabernet from the American Napa Valley on the bonnet.
12. Learn how to perform sabrage on a bottle of Champagne. A.k.a popping a cork with a sword/saber.. booyah!
13. Buy an Italian Chianti in its traditional bottle and once you have enjoyed it’s nectar turn it into a candleholder. Gorgeous!
14. If you’re in Egypt grab a pot of the local tucker – Koshary – and a bottle of vino made from the Egyptian born grape – Bannati.
15. Collect the corks from all your wine and use them in creative ways: cork board, use them as name place cards at a dinner party/wedding, collect them in a vase as a center piece
16. Why not splash out and take a bath in Champas, let me know if you get your £25,000 worth of enjoyment out of it.
17. Slip into your curve-hugging ‘Sandy’ leather outfit, pop on the grease movie and down some Olivia Newton-John made wine – Koala Blue.
18. Not wanting a hefty alcohol kick? Why not opt for a wine spritzer: lemonade or soda water mixed with wine. Or as wikipedia put it, a way that wine can be ‘consumed in larger, thirst quenching amounts’.
19. The ‘Game of Thrones’ drinking game. This maybe best to do with spritzers. Rule #1: drink when someone says, “winter is coming”. Rule #2: drink when you see the ginger, Sansa. Rule #3: drink when yeou see a dire wolf. Rule #4: drink when there is a reference to bad birth: bastard, imp, etc. Rule #5: this is the horrid one, however it is a horrid crime; drink your full vessel when incest occurs.
20. Grab a bottle of Pinot Noir and watch the 2004 movie ‘Sideways’.
21. Try wines made by berries such as; blackcurrant, crowberry, blueberry, artic cloudberry and even rhubarb in Lapland.
22. If you’re in London, do the ‘Great Monopoly Walking Tour’ and add in some wine bar stops along the way.
23. Grab some bottles of red wine and get watching: True Blood, Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Underworld, Blade or The Secret Circle. I am sure you understand the reference there.
24. Women who drink 2 glasses of wine a day have better sex. Drink up girls, it may be a study by Italian men but hey it’s worth the research right?
25. If you need a holiday and you’re in the Middle East, make sure you paraglide into the Six Senses Resort in Zighy Bay, Oman.
26. Make your own wine with the ‘ibrew’ micro-winery.
27. ATTENTION MEN: If you’re with a woman drink Bollinger Champagne, if you’re by yourself it’s a martini shaken not stirred. The words of the wise. You Only Live Twice, after all.
28. Go naked with natural wine.
29. Champagne ice-blocks – the best thing is that they are pretty healthy!!
At the end of the day make sure you pay your respects to a man of fine words, Benjamin Franklin,
“Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.” Happy leap year from the Travelling Corkscrew everyone.