Moss Wood Ribbon Vale 2017 Merlot

Moss Wood Ribbon Vale 2017 Merlot

Moss Wood – it’s a name associated with elegance and luxury in the wine world. Hailing from Wilyabrup in WA, it is one of the important founding estates of the Margaret River wine region.

I was recently sent a sample of the new Moss Wood Ribbon Vale 2017 releases, which included this Merlot (thank you!). Ribbon Vale is the name of one of their vineyards (they have 3). It was first planted in 1977 and comprises of 6.36 hectares. It’s unirrigated and is made up of gravelly loams over clay sub-soils.

2017 was a great vintage for the Margaret River and especially Moss Wood. The grapes were handpicked, malolactic fermentation took place and the wine spent time in French oak. 93% of the wine is made up of Merlot grapes and the other 7% Cabernet Franc.

We popped this one in the decanter prior to drinking. It’s tasting great now but it’ll definitely evolve with time in the cellar, in fact on the Moss Wood website they say full maturity will be reached after 20 years!

Here are our notes:

Deep juicy cherry red with a lovely brightness to it. The nose is simply gorgeous, it wafts out of the glass in an elegantly beautiful way with dark fruits, especially blueberries, intertwined with, oak and rose perfume – it has an amazing depth to it. While in the mouth it’s incredibly juicy, think blackberries with a hint of toasted sugarcane, subtle smoky tannins, delicate fruit and good oak structure & nice acidity in the finish.

This beauty retails for $77 which you can buy via mosswood.com.au

This wine was given to me as a sample, I was under no obligation to post about it.

All opinions are based on my own taste buds. Wine is subjective & always evolving, so make sure you drink what you enjoy!

Grab a glass of wine and let me know what you think...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.