Don’t you hate how it’s all of a sudden Global Cab Sauv or Chardonnay day and you are not prepared? I don’t know about you, but when it comes to this sort of thing I hate not being ready for it. Therefore in this first blog post of the year I have put together a list of important wine days in 2016 to mark in your calendars. I have also mentioned the source, just in case you come back and point the finger at me saying I made it up because I’m one big wino. Which is sort of true, the wino part that is.
There’s not many wine appreciation days which are actually “official”. The majority of them have been started by die-hard fans or wine companies who’ve used social media to help spread the word. I’ll add to this post as we go through the year in case any other ‘very important’ days pop up/are created. And hey, if they are celebrating it in Europe or America, I don’t see why we can’t also celebrate in Australia and New Zealand too! Any excuse right?
2017 Wine Days:
- 18 February 2017 – Global Drink Wine Day (join the 2018 Facebook Event)
- 25 February 2017 – Open That Bottle Night
- 3 March 2017 – Mulled Wine Day
- 17 April 2017 – Malbec World Day
- 24 April 2017 – International Sauvignon Blanc Day
- Offical hashtag: #SauvBlanc
- 9 May 2017 – World Moscato Day
- 25 May 2017 – International Chardonnay Day (the Thursday before Memorial Day (U.S.) each year thanks to the creator Rick Bakas)
- 21 June 2017 – Lambrusco Day
- 1 August 2017 – International Albariño Days
- 14 August 2017 – International Rosé Day
- 31 August 2017 – International Cabernet Day (the Thursday before the US Labor Day every year thanks to Rick Bakas)
- Official hashtag: #CabernetDay
- 15 September 2017 – International Grenache Day (3rd Friday in September every year)
- 20 October 2017 – Champagne Day
- 7 November 2017 – International Merlot Day
- 9 November 2017 – International Tempranillo Day
- 16 November 2017 – Beaujolais Nouveau Day (3rd Thursday in November every year)
If you know of any other important wine appreciation dates please let me know by leaving a comment below. And yes a 2018 will be put up closer to the time. Cheers!