Typically my standard weekday meals are not exactly what you would call the ideal wine matching foods – heck I’m no Rockafella who lives off foie gras and lobster. They are normally the quick and easy foods; nachos, stir-fry, chili and one of my favourites – homemade burgers!
Tonight though we figured we would do our burger night in style since I just got word of my passing of my WSET Advanced course (wohhooooooo). So we got in the car and beat this we traveled 110km just to get a burger!! Though this is not any burger, this is one of Dubai’s new hotspots – the Kiwi burger chain BurgerFuel has washed up on our shores and it is no disappointment!
So as we are eating out massive burgers, avocado running down my chin – Morgan says how great it would be if BurgerFuel served alcohol, obviously not on this side of the world, but in New Zealand how great would that be. The obvious beverage would be beer, but for those of us wine inclined – it got me thinking what a good wine menu would be, so here is what I would suggest:
What wine to match with your next burger…
1. Italian Chianti or a Californian Sangiovese would complement toppings of grilled onions, sautéed mushrooms and swiss cheese.
2. Chardonnay or Beaujolais if you prefer grilled pineapple on your burgers.
3. White Zinfandel is a good balance to the flavours of yellow mustard and relish.
4. An Aussie or Shiraz or any other new world Shiraz would complement the salad flavours on a burger as well as mayonnaise and lashings of ketchup (that’s me!)
5. A Sauvignon Blanc or Merlot for those who prefer avocado, cucumber and sprouts on their burgers.
Who says burgers can’t be classy hey !