A big thank you to BABO for sending this sample my way! I was under no obligation to post about it and all opinions are based on my own taste buds. Wine is subjective & always evolving, so make sure you drink what you enjoy!
Did you know that this time last year Prosecco Rosé didn’t even exist? I’m not joking with you.
It was only in mid-2020 when the Italian government actually approved the production of Prosecco Rosé when they allowed the use of Pinot Nero (Pinot Noir) in Prosecco. Up until this point, winemakers were only allowed to make Prosecco from the traditional grape – Glera.
Under the new rules, winemakers can now add 10-15% Pinot Noir into the blend to create a pink Prosecco. Plus any sparkling labelled Prosecco must also adhere to the following rules:
- Maximum yields of 12 tonnes/ha for Glera and 13.5 tonnes/ha for Pinot Noir
- Produced only in a Brut Nature or Extra Dry style
- Second fermentation – Martinotti/Charmat Method: minimum of 60 days
- The label must state the word “Millesimato” and the vintage (85% of the grapes in the blend must be from that year
The lovely folks at BABO kindly sent me this sample of their 2019 Prosecco Rose DOC to try. It was my very first sip of an authentic Italian Prosecco Rosé and its one of the first to be available in Australia (I am sure many more will be on the way!)
- Vintage: 2019
- Region: San Martino al Tagliamento (Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy)
- Grape Varieties: 89% Glera and 11% Pinot Noir
- Method: Charmat Method
- Alcohol: 11.5%
- Price: $28 via the BABO Wines website
After secondary fermentation, the wine remained on lees to build further complexity. It is also a vegan friendly wine.
What does this Prosecco Rosé taste like?
Mr. Spittoon and I loved it! It’s a gorgeous pearly-peach colour in the glass with an elegant perfume of citrus, stonefruit and raspberries & cream. In the mouth it’s super smooth and absolutely moreish. I could easily drink this Prosecco Rosé at any time of the day. Being fairly light in alcohol (11.5%), it would make a fantastic breakfast or brunch bubbly in my opinion.
I will definitely be drinking this one again!